Wednesday, September 06, 2006

SGI finally puts MIPS/IRIX out of its misery

As of December 29, 2006 SGI will cease production of MIPS-based workstations running IRIX. You can read about it here.

Well, I don't think anyone could possibly be surprised. It's long past time that SGI retired these systems and started thinking about rethinking the graphics workstation. Hopefully, there are still some engineers at SGI cooking up some new workstations to replace the outgoing, outdated MIPS-based ones.

I never had much experience with IRIX beyond the few fleeting moments I spent with an Indy getting it set up to connect to the Internet and our internal network. It was a sight to behold, all clad in funky blue plastic. I wanted one. Hell, what geek wouldn't want one.

SGI has dropped a lot of balls in the past 5 years, but this isn't one of them. I wish them the best. Call me if you want a few ideas moving forward.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home